Citizen science means you can get involved! If you live in Hawaii, or not, you can help protect Hawaii's reefs by processing data from our community based coral reef monitoring project. Citizen science provides an opportunity for our global ohana to participate in research and education. We need your help identifying corals, measuring reef patches, and identifying Hawaiian reef fish and invertebrates.
Rules & Regulations
The following rules apply to all contests hosted online by Kuleana Coral Restoration unless otherwise noted:
· These contests are in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media platform.
· NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. We are a small organization that currently relies on donations from people like you. We encourage you to go to our donate page if you are in a position to do so, but we would like to remind you that entering in our giveaways to win prizes is completely voluntary and cost free.
· To be eligible for the contest, you must be 18 years of age or greater and a lawful permanent resident of the United States of America. Void where prohibited by law. KCR employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to win. By entering into this Contest, entrants accept and agree to be bound by these official rules and the decisions of KCR subject to all local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
· Winners may be required to show proof of identification. The prize(s) are non-transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. No substitutions are allowed.
· Winners will be selected as specified in each contest. KCR officials will pick winners through a random selection. All decisions are final. KCR is under no obligation to use any submission.
· Each entry has an equal opportunity to win. Approximate odds of winning a prize are based on the total number of eligible entries received during the promotion period. Potential recipients will be contacted by KCR prior to posting the contest winner on social media.
· By accepting a prize, winners grant KCR the right to publicize and/or promote the contestant’s name, character, likeness, voice, and the fact that he/she has participated in and/or won the contest for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes by KCR, in any and all media now or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, any online announcements, worldwide in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification, or permission, except where prohibited by law. All entries become the property of KCR. KCR reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including submissions provided by the contestants, for editorial, marketing, and any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
· By participating in this contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and the decisions of KCR, which are final and binding.
· By participating in this contest and/or accepting any prize in this contest, the winner releases KCR and its owners, officers, and directors plus any additional sponsors from any and all liabilities associated with this contest and/or said prize.
· KCR reserves the right to change contest rules at any time without notice. KCR reserves the right to end the contest at any time for any reason without notice.
· KCR reserves the right to disqualify any contestant who fails to comply with contest rules. In the event that a contestant is found to be ineligible for a prize, said prizes would not be awarded.
· No responsibility is assumed by KCR for damaged, lost, altered, misdirected, postage-due, stolen mail, incomplete, or illegible entries, phone, or mechanical failure, human error, electronic error, or any act of nature which may prohibit entering this contest. If prizes are distributed by mail, KCR is not responsible for the delay in delivery, theft, or for any prizes lost in the mail.
For questions, please contact the Kuleana Coral Restoration team at email@example.com.
Sample Instagram Entry
Submissions for this image should appear in the comments as follows:
@friend1, @friend2, @friend3
Porites compressa OR Finger Coral
70% Live Coral Coverage
Monthly Winners + One Grand Prize Winner—
PRIZES INCLUDE KCR T-SHIRTS, YETI THERMAL CUPS, AND A CUSTOMIZED YETI ROADIE 24 COOLER!
Enter to win!
Looking for a quick and fun way to learn about Hawaiian reef ecology? You can even win prizes for participating! All you need is an Instagram account to join in—
There are 3 ways to earn an entry into our prize giveaways. Each of the tasks below will get you one entry into our monthly Giveaway and an entry in our World Ocean Day Grand Prize Giveaway in June!
Share our post with 3 of your friends that are not already following @kuleanacoral
Name the correct species (latin name or common name) of the coral or fish posted.
Estimate the amount ( by %) of live coral coverage OR quantity of fish in image.
Do you teach Marine Reef Ecology, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or Artificial intelligence programming?
Please contact us if you would like to receive complete and larger data sets for a project. We have georeferenced, high resolution, underwater images that have tons of raw data just waiting to be extracted!